Tuesday, June 22, 2010

New family member - welcome iPad

I finally broke and bought an iPad. My rationale is that it does appear to be defining a new class of device and even though the next version will be much improved, I needed to understand the device now. For me that means using one as much as I can. Those who know me know that I will use it heavily for as much as I can.

I have had it now for a week; 32GB wifi. My rationale for the size was that it was bigger than my 16GB touch, and I could save a few dollars over the 64 model. Wifi only as I anticipated that if I really need mobile data access I would get a MiFi. I was also hoping that I would be able to pickup the hydro-one wifi signal from my desk. They offer an iPad data service for $5 per month. Unfortunately, I have not been able to make that work. Free open access does exist in many places downtown so generally am not too bad off. I think I will still miss the gps function.

I also purchased the dock, the VGA cable and the camera connection kit. The later because I hope to experiment with it as a tool for photographers as well.

So far the experience has been good. There was a good chance of it's new life with me when it was not available. Maybe I should have ordered two - or three. It has been very popular with the family.

That should be a good start. Of course this is all written on the iPad itself using the blogger web application. Works well.

No comments: