Monday, September 08, 2003

Update on VoIP

My original purpose for experimeting with VoIP was two-fold. 1) to talk to my daugther who just went off to college on the other side of the continent, and secondly to improve on my effectiveness while tele-commuting. The first objective looks like it will be a 'win' once she gets her high-speed (and always on) connectivity set-up.

The second objective was somewhat reliant on being able to tie into into the corporate VoIP phone network - over the VPN. This looks to be a challenge. It seems that so far, the best I will be able to achieve is Direct IP dialing. So does this put me any further ahead than using Sametime or Netmeeting? I think the answer is 'no'. To be practicable I would need to know the IP address of the recipient, that would likely be established via a sametime chat. It appears that I should focus on audio calls using sametime and getting everybody I know signed up for that.

No comments: