Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Experimenting with Voice Over IP (VoIP)

Looking for ways to work better from remote locations, I have been exploring Voice Over IP solutions. So far I have signed up with Free World Dialup . I am phone number 57902 . It is a free service.

I have been using xten-lite as the softphone (SIP agent). It was very easy to install. The quality has been good so far with the biggest variable being the speakers and microphone used by the other end. Some feedback has occured with they are in close proximity.

The biggest limitation so far is that FreeWorldDialup is not useable from behind the corporate firewall - at least I haven't figured out a set of workable parameters as yet. Perhaps it won't be needed - that is if the new IP telephone system allows connectivity over the VPN from computer based softphones.

So if you want to play around, install a phone and sign up for FWD, and gve me a call - FWD# 57902.

No comments: